Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas Gift Certificate Holder

I created this gift Certificate holder for someone who was really having a difficult time finding something to put a gift certificate in. It was a Christmas gift and it was purchased as so but the company who sold this put it in a business letter sized standard white envelope; she wanted to put it into something more festive.


To get the dimensions of the cards stock that I needed ( I used Crumb Cake), I measured the length of the envelope and added an inch so there was a 1/2" flap on either side. Next I measured the height, doubled this for the flap and added an inch to fold up on the bottom. These two measurements gave me the length and width of the card stock that I would need. ( My envelope measured 9 1/2" long by 4 1/4" high so my cardstock measured 10 1/2" long by 9 1/2" high. Next I scored the 10 1/2" side at 1/2" and 10" and the 91/2" side at 4 1/4" and 8 1/2". I folded the scorelines and trimmed off the excess 41/4" x 1/2" on either side of the front flap and the small 1" x1/2" pieces on the bottom flap leaving only a 1/2 " x 41/4 " piece on either side of the center panel. I trimmed a small triangular sliver on either end of these 1/2" flaps to facilitate the folds and closure. Next I cut a piece of Deck The Halls DSP 1/4" smaller than the cardstock, (9 1/4" x 10 1/4") and I rounded the corners of the ends of the cardstock and the DSP. I glued the DSP to the cardstock before folding and gluing the bottom flap to create the envelope holder. This seemed to work well and was easier to adhere this way. The envelope is created!

Now to embellish it...... I created a belly band with one of the strips that I had trimmed off of my 12 x 12 Cardstock and I used the scallop trim border punch on either side of this. I cut another piece of DSP from the Deck the Halls paper pack and adhered it to the belly band.







  I cut some snowflakes from the Northern Frost Decorative strip in Cherry Cobbler, Early Espresso and Crumb Cake cardstock and layered them with Glimmer brads on the belly band and the front and back of this envelope.

I used Tombo Mulit Liquid Adhesive for this project, I have come to love this adhesive, it has some wiggle time when adhering two pieces of paper and it will never come apart. You have to respect it though and be very sparing with its use.





 Here are some of the snowflakes on the back as well.
The last thing I did with this was to spray it with the alcohol and Shimmer Paint mix. I love the sparkle you get from this and I don't find it falling off my projects, it stays put.

I hope you enjoyed this project and will be inspired by it.

Thanks for stopping by,

Sharri

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. I so need to make some not-white snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This color combination is "like butta"! Love the vintage "feel". Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful -- thank you for the sharing your talent and awesome instructions.
    Sandi Dailey
    gdailey@concentric.net
    http://anotherchancetostamp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do need to make some of the Gift Card envelopes in color combination like this..thanks you share it.

    ReplyDelete