Sunday, May 2, 2010

Scrapbook in a Box

I watched this video tutorial on You-tube showing how to make a Magnolia Flower from the Stampin'Up Ornament punch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlczsCli5pg&feature=player_embedded

......and decided to try it out. I used Whisper White cardstock and Pink Pirouette Classic Ink for the flower and I sponged the punches on both sides; otherwise I followed her directions in the video. I was so pleased with the results that I had to put it on something and decided to make a box.

The box is just a 12x12 piece of Pink Pirouette cardstock that is scored at 4" and 8" on two sides, you then cut one score line to the 4" score line on each side of the paper9 make sure it is the same line on each side)
You then fold the box up staggering the sides to create the box.
When opened up the box is actually a scrapbook with 9 sections that are 4x4 to use for journaling and/or pictures.
The sides of the box are decorated with the Bridal DSP that has been colored with Pink Pirouette Classic ink by rubbing the pad over the paper until evenly colored. It's beautiful in real life.
I made the top by taking a piece of Pink Pirouette C/S that measured 10 and 1/8th inches square. I then scored it at 1.5 and 3 inches on all sides then cut and scored as usual for any box top. This one has reinforced sides on it for stability.


I'm on a roll......This next box I created is for my sister whose first grandchild.....Lily was born in February. I decided there had to be a way to make a 3D Lily so I spent the afternoon playing and this is what I came up with. I used Certainly Celery CS and the Bridal DSP again with Classic ink to decorate the sides.
The lilies were created by taking a 2"x8.5" pieces of Whisper White CS; scored and folded at 1" , this I put about one third to half way into the large oval punch, fold to the center of the punch to get a narrow oval with points on the ends. You need 6 for each lily.


I then sponged each fold/score line with Certainly Celery Classic Ink then opened and folded the other way and repeated. I sponged one end of each petal with some Certainly Celery and also a bit of So Saffron Ink to give depth to the center of the flowers.

Next I took one petal and glued an other one to it oneach side of the fold line joining it at the bottom,(it looks like a fan) repeat this again with the other 3 petals. These are 2 halve of the lily, set aside to dry.

For the stamens I used slivers of Certainly Celery CS and So Saffron CS. Fold the yellow CS, 1"slivers in two and glue then fold in half again and glue this to the end of the green sliver(2-3") sandwiching it with the yellow folded over. You need 5 slivers with yellow . Punch out a 1/4" circle and sponge it with Certainly Celery,fold over a the end of a green sliver and glue the circle to it. I then lightly pinched the circle to give it a 3D effect. You could also use an embossing tool to make it 3D as well.

Now to put the lily together I pinched the folds in the petals so the two halves of the flower were easy to fit inside each other and glued these together at the bottom and at the same time putting the stamen slivers into the center of the flower so the ends protrude from the flower like a stem and the stamens are in the center of the flower.
Set aside and let dry well.

When dry use a bone folder or round handled tool or pencil to shape the petals so that the flower is more realistic.

Place them on the top of the box or where ever you want a lily to be.

I hope that gives you some idea and it is not to difficult to follow.

Thanks for stopping by.

Sharri

May 7, 2010 - I just want to say thanks to everyone for all the lovely comments on these
projects, they are very much appreciated, Sharri

Valita Reynolds in Austrailia has created a video to show how she made her interpretation of my Lilies. please go over to her blog and see how she has refined and simplified these flowers.
http://valitasfreshfolds.blogspot.com/2010/06/punched-paper-lily.html
Thank you, Valita for making these flowers come to life. Sharri

53 comments:

  1. Sharri:) this is *stunning* but I bet, in the real light it's more than *stunning*; thank you for the great tutorial on both flowers; the lily is a wonderful addition from the regular flowers that've been popping up all over the internet.....thanks for sharing an afternoon with us stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Sharri!! Thanks for the detailed instruction and links too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Totally beautiful. I loved the flowers. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial!
    Martha Lucia - http://stampartpapel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flowers!! Quick question, what adhesive did you use for the flowers? I have made some that look like water lilies, using the ornament punch which you can see at http://www.thestylinstamper.blogspot.com, but I love the look of the more dimensional flowers :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply beautiful!!!! I was actually going to make a scrap page in a box for my mother and mother-in-law with pics of my kids for Mother's Day. Now I know how I'm going to decorate them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! These are absolutely gorgeous!!! What special gifts they will make. Thanks for sharing your details and for inspiring me to give the flowers a try. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing the details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, the lilies were gorgeous and so creative. I am going to have to try and do them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your lilies are gorgeous. Stunning. I can't seem to find a word that hasn't been said in all the comments so far. thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharri these are stuning !!!! You always do such beatiful work...
    Hugs
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great! The pictures really help to see how the box is folded. Gotta go try this! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so real! this is great for someone who is allergic to scents(and flowers) :D..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Sharri, I just came across these on LNS blog finds. These are just stunning! Will have to give them a go some time. TFS!!!

    Jenny H.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just wanted to take a moment to say ditto, to all of the comments on how beautiful your projects are. Congratulations on creating yet another beautiful flower (lily)to be able to create a beautiful paper flower bouquet.
    Lynn L.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your flowers are beautiful! Thank you for sharing your technique.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I really like these, they are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. amazingly beautiful project !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a really beautiful 3D project Sharri. Thank you so much for sharing. Marion.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just stunning - thanks so much for sharing your wonderful creations...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have just come from Valita's video tutorial. Absolutely stunning, thanks so much for sharing. Australia is going to be filled with little boxes with flowers on top!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These lilys are gorgeous!!! I love punch art to

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG...We had the same idea about putting the magnolia on top of an Explosion box (we just made different kinds of explosion boxes), and using the ornament punch to make the leaves with the crimper...See even when I think I came up with something original someone already thought of it LOL!! LOVELY! But now I just HAVE to make those lilies. BEAUTIFUL.. I will make sure I link back to your blog when I post mine :) You can check out my take on the magnolias (or I think I called mine a roses) at www.stampinbetty.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful Flowers,
    Bye Dineke

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are fantastic I just had to come by and say YOU ROCK. I saw Valita's tutorial and was blown away. they look so real and they are my ALL TIME FAVOURITE flowers EVER. so I am a little more than excited! LOL TFS and thanks for letting Valita do the tutorial otherwise I may never had seen them. :)
    Gardenia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous Lily! Thank you for coming up with the idea and sharing with us!
    Melanie K

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a stunning creation! It always blows me away how one can create such realistic-looking projects from p-a-p-e-r!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic!!! Had to make one!!!
    thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  28. These lillis are just beautiful! I love the box as well. I would love to do this as a wedding gift box. Do you have a picture of the back side of the lilly? I would love to make some of these but I'm not sure how to finish off the back.
    Thanks Kristi
    http://kristiskraftykreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. thank you so much for sharing your beautiful creations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks soo much for the inspiration! Such beautiful flowers and I'll be making them soon!
    It figures-I had to 'go' to Aus, visit Valita's blog, to 'meet' you in NB (I use to live in Moncton) when I actually live in, yup - Mtl.
    The world is a small place :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. These flowers are beautiful! Thanks for sharing,
    Have a nice day,
    Jogry/bali

    ReplyDelete
  32. the most beautiful flowers I have seen..you are very clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is simple beautiful... Love the idea... Thank you for sharing... I just might have to try it and add cards to it...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Absolutely beautiful flowers. Thank you so much for sharing how to do these. I can;t wait to make the lilies... they are my favourite flowers....

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for sharing these beautiful flowers with us Sharri. I too am visiting you via Valita's video.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The flowers are beautiful. Great job.
    Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are beautiful Sharri. Thanks so much for sharing with us! I have also come via Valita's video. I'm off to make some now! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm impressed Sharri, these flowers are beautiful. How clever using a punch outside its intended shape. I did watch some one at a craft day make tiny 3D flowers using a small balloon punch too, it had a similar shape to the Christmas bauble.
    I just watched Valita's video she did an awesome job demoing this too. Thanks for showing us how to create these.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful Sharri. Wonderful blog and I came from Valita's video too.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Sharri - just another follow up comment on your stunning Lillies. I made some following Valita's tutorial and wore them on my apron for my Stampin' Up! summer garden party. Everyone loved them and my upline has now asked me to demo them at her quarterly training. I will be crediting both you and Valita and giving links to both your wonderful blogs. Thanks SO much for the inspiration. As I am in the UK, this is a real around the world project :) X

    ReplyDelete
  41. I just "discovered" these lilies. They are gorgeous! Both my m-i-l & s-i-l are daylily collectors, I plan on making some of these for them for Christmas so they can enjoy 'their' lilies year round.
    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Sharri, I just made up my first Scrapbook in a Box from your instructions. It's stunningly awesome...thanks so much for sharing this beautiful idea. My School Holiday Workshop tomorrow is going to rock! Marion

    ReplyDelete
  43. This box is beautiful. One of my best friends has a new grandbaby named Lily also. My friend's birthday is next week and this box is a perfect gift. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas & your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am in awe of your artistic abilities. These are beautiful, and so lifelike. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh wow, that is drop dead, pick your chin up off the floor gorgeous!!!!! Oh my word! Thank you so much for sharing this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. this is absolutely stunning! TFS ~ found 2 new amazing blogs today, yours & Vilita's ~ Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Awesome. Just awesome! Beautiful work! You both are so very talented! I NEED to try this! Try being the operative word!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I haven finally got round to visiting the blog of the lady who created the beautiful lilies. I am now in love with your Roses, I will have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Your lilies are amazing! fantastic!
    I definetely should try making such nice flowers...
    Thanks for sharing your idea.
    Greetings from Germany
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  50. These lilies are fantastic, thank you for the instructions.
    All the best Linda (UK)

    ReplyDelete